Dude-Bro Dumb Comedy Reigns On Oscar Night
By Alex Cranz
What was the worst part of the Oscars?
- Was it the terrible soundmix that made it look like Hugh Jackman sang like Russell Crowe in “One More Day?”
- Seth MacFarlane suggesting sex between George Clooney and 9 year old Quvenzhané Wallis?
- The Onion’s twitter calling Quvenzhané Wallis a cunt?
- Seth MacFarlane’s song about boobs?
- The lack of a similar song about dicks?
- It turning into 2003 with all the Chicago bits?
- The show running long so Seth MacFarlane could promote Ted?
- Playing the VFX guys off to Jaws while the VFX guys were attempting to tell people about their grief with the industry’s current destructive practices?
- Seth MacFarlane’s general existence?
If Ricky Gervais and a raging misognyist ever produced the Oscars this show is what it would have been like. Only that one might have been amusing.
People will claim it’s satire.
Those people don’t understand satire. Satire is social activisim via wit. It’s shinning a light on injustices by exposing them. Veep is satire. Sascha Baron Cohen’s career is satire. Hell Game of Thrones is often satirical.
A white guy getting up at an awards show that is predominately white and guyish and then smugly shitting all over everyone who isn’t a 30+ white guy? That’s just an asshole.
“You’re being too sensitive” they’ll say. That’s because it’s easier to put the blame on the audience than to accept responsibility for bad jokes and racist, sexist and generally awful behavior.
The only good to come out of the entire affair besides the myriad of musical numbers, Jennifer Lawrence’s face plant and Anna Karenina‘s one Oscar was that we now possess incontrovertable proof that men can’t host award shows.
They’re just not that funny.